Friday, March 4, 2016

HVAC + Type A Personality

This is going to sound silly to most people...but oh well.  Let me introduce you to my Type A personality. 

On one of our walk throughs of a Palermo under construction I noticed the return air vent at the top of the big wall in the great room.  I wasn't a fan and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't noticed it in the models.  So in walking back through the models I realized the return air vent was at the bottom of the wall, hidden behind an end table.  That I could handle.  I talked with our Project Manager about this at preconstruction and he basically said that's up to the HVAC people as to where in the home it's the best.  In the mean time I used the fabulous Ryan Homes Facebook groups to find out what other Palermo owners had.  There was basically a mix of top and bottom of the great room wall, until I found someone whose return air vent was in the hallway! I felt like I found a pot of gold!  That would be perfect! Less noise in the great room and out of sight in the great room.

vent at bottom of Great Room wall
vent at top of Great Room wall (and for the record I have seen it shifted to the right, center, more)
POT OF GOLD!!!
vent in hallway (through the top of the closet) around the corner from Great Room

That brings us to this morning. When we stopped by yesterday I saw the HVAC work had begun.  I messaged our PM this morning showing him the 3 different options I had found and told him my preferences.  He talked right then to the HVAC guy and was told top of the great room wall.  I of course wasn't happy and questioned a bit more and he said they would put it in the hallway!!!  

Hallelujah! (Don't you hear the angels singing?)
It's the small things :D

Also, an update on our list of issues from his past weekend.  These 3 issues were already taken care of.  We will walk through this weekend to check on the rest of the list.
  • Inside the house, the alignment of the doorframe to the basement is off by over 3 inches. 
  • Also, it appears there is a closet framed in the laundry room, when we should be getting a tub instead.
  • One more thing, I thought you had decided the sump pump was going to go at the front corner of the house but it appears it's in the middle of the basement. 

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Way to pay attention and do your research, I agree the hallway location looks much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me not feel so crazy! :)

      Delete
  2. My husband and I are building a Palermo Elevation D right now...breaking ground this week actually. Happy building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun!
      We are super excited about ours!!! Hopefully the blog will help you along the way. I know I found many that helped me.

      Delete