Friday, February 19, 2016

Week 4 shows progress

Week 4 is finished and we have a lot to show for it!  We actually have something that resembles a house :)  I think the boys are starting to believe we are actually going to move here some day.  (Though they still don't understand the concept of time.  And almost every time we drive to see it my 3 year old says "I bet it's done.")

We started the week with a lot of snow.  So when I drove by on Monday it didn't appear anything had been done.  (It may have, just nothing visible from the car.)

Tuesday when I drove by I saw this:

The best pic I could get.  It was a muddy mess and since they were working I didn't want to bother them.
Now, forgive me for showing my ignorance here but I was shocked to see "Amish" people framing our home.  I even hesitated to take this picture because I wasn't sure if that was "allowed."  Upon some further investigation I found out they there are Mennonites.  (The fact that they were loading up a truck and not a horse and buggy should've told me something.)  They do use power tools, which was my initial concern.  Another interesting fact, they don't have to wear hard hats and instead wear their black hats.
To be honest, I really didn't even notice how much they had framed, just that the framing package had been opened and there were people there.

This has been a bit of a busy week for me so I wasn't able to get a lot of pics.  I did get this picture today when it was 64 degrees and windy as can be! Obviously there has been some framing going on this week!

First floor done.  They've also got some "stuff" cut and ready it looks like laying there.
Windows were delivered
Also talked to Kevin and he said they didn't get much 2nd floor framing done today because of the high winds (can you blame them?).  So the plan is to finish framing and get the roof on by mid-week next week.  Also hopefully get the basement and garage slabs poured.  Maybe even get to some starting mechanics at the end of the week.

My father in law found this in the garage.  It appears that someone cut some of the boards (that support that beam) too short.  They've fixed it with a few shims.  My husband is convinced this isn't good enough so he talked with Kevin and requested they use some steel shims instead.  Kevin was fabulous and totally agreed.
In terms of "design" it's been a week of refrigerators and rugs :)  I've/we've decided we're going to do french doors with a drawer on the bottom.  We're going to hold off really looking until April.  We're hoping to find a scratch and dent model that might work for us :)

Rugs are killing me!  I am so clueless in this area.  I just want to purchase a rug for under our dining room table (7' x 10') and one for our great room (10'x14').  Trying to find something that coordinates that will also work with our black floors and white cabinets is important.  So I am looking in the grey scheme currently, with a blue/teal/aqua accent...maybe.  I am thinking going with something more patterned for under the table and something more solid for the great room.
These are some of my ideas from Overstock: 

Morning Room option
http://goo.gl/JxLbhQ
Morning Room option
http://goo.gl/SBf70W
Great Room option
http://goo.gl/TGjv4t
Great Room option (in grey)
http://goo.gl/84S3B4
Great Room option
http://goo.gl/efGyxJ

Great Room option
http://goo.gl/9jWVjv

Any thoughts???  Please feel free to offer any decorating advice at ANY point :)

Just a reminder this is our floor plan.  So the rugs  would go in the "Morning Room" and the "Great Room."  I will probably need one in the "Dining Room" eventually, but I'm not sure what we're putting in that room yet since the Morning Room is going to actually be our Dining Room.



Oh, almost forgot!  We "met" our neighbors building across the street via Facebook.  They have 2 small children, so that's exciting!  And today when we drove by a house across the street had 3 boys jumping on a trampoline.  My boys were excited!

Coming up this week we should be closing on our current home and I'd like to get in another trip up to a different Palermo model that is actually our elevation.  I want to verify some rug measurements as well as table measurements.  We need to decide on exactly what we want our table to look like so the guy we found at Saw & Hammer can start building it :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the first rug for the morning room and the last one for the great room. Just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete